Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (ORE)
The UK’s leading technology innovation and research centre for offshore renewable energy. ORE’s capabilities include:
- 3 MW Powertrain Test Facility – primarily designed for full scale tidal turbine nacelle testing this flexible facility can provide axial torque plus non-torque loads to test all 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) with mechanical Hardware In the Loop (mHIL).
- 15 MW Powertrain Test Facility – primarily designed to test the next generation of full-scale wind turbines. It can provide 6 DOF to accurately recreate wind conditions along with its mHIL.
- eGrid – an 18 MVA rated, grid emulation system which can connect to either facility above or allow full grid compliance testing of the device(s) under test.
- Levenmouth Demonstration Turbine – A 7 MW offshore wind turbine available for demonstration of new technologies and equipped with a plethora of sensors and high-speed data recorder.
- Met masts – Two fully equipped met masts, located at separate offshore wind turbine/farm locations.
- Wind turbine converters – ORE Catapult has a selection of commercial scale wind turbine.